What Is Advocacy?
In the context of PTA, advocacy is supporting and speaking up for children — in schools, in communities, before government bodies, and to other organizations that make decisions affecting children.
Mitchell PTA members can work with Colorado PTA and National PTA to support or oppose actions by policy makers at the federal, state, and local levels based on their impact on the health, well-being and education of our kids.
Here are a few ways PTA members can influence policy:
- Sign up for the PTA Takes Action Network and respond to action alerts to reach your legislators on important issues and legislation.
- Attend district school board meetings. Jefferson County School board information and calendar can be viewed here.
- Stay informed about the Colorado PTA’s advocacy for legislative priorities and learn how to get more involved.
- Get involved with the advocacy work of the JeffcoPTA to share your voice about the issues happening in your community
- Write a letter to the editor.